The first T20 Tiger Cub (1954-1956) was derived from the 150 cc Triumph T15 Terrier (1953-1956) with the same frame and forks. The earlier version of the Cub used the Terrier’s plunger rear suspension frame, but from 1957 this was updated to a more-modern pattern of rear swinging-arm with twin suspension units. The ignition points were positioned in a ‘distributor’-type device on the crankcase behind the cylinder. A later development in 1963 was to site the points at a more conventional location on the end of the camshaft, accessed via a chrome cover below the base of the cylinder.
The Sports Cub designated T20SH featured slimline mudguards, no rear paneling or headlamp nacelle and with a higher compression ratio and other engine modifications was timed at 74 mph mean maximum by Motor Cycle magazine.
Off-road versions produced with high level exhaust, altered suspension and studded tires, were designated TS20 Scrambles Cub and TR20 Trials Cub.
The last model made was the T20 Super Cub, which, for economy of production cost, used a basic frame and other parts common to the BSA Bantam D10 including larger diameter wheels with full-width hubs. Launched in November 1966, it was discontinued in 1968, being briefly replaced by the 250cc TR25W ‘Trophy’, based on BSA’s B25 ‘Starfire’.
In 1961, the driving licence law for Triumph’s home market in Great Britain was changed, restricting learner motorcyclists to a maximum of 250cc. The Tiger Cub became one of the most popular ways of getting onto two wheels.
The Scrambler on offer here hails from a discerning SoCal collection of cars and motorcycles. It has been on static display in a climate-controlled environment and seems to have covered 1,600 miles since a comprehensive restoration. In good all ‘round condition, the bike will be in need of some re-commissioning before returning to a hack through the woods.