1973 Maico 250cc GS Qualifier

1973 Maico 250cc GS Qualifier

Founded in 1926, Germany’s Maicowerk AG cut its teeth building 100cc and 125cc two-wheeled runabouts. But Maico’s reputation is forged today as one of the leading motocross-bike makers of the 1970s. Renowned for their good handling and grunty power, Maicos gave an excellent account of themselves in international competition with riders like Adolf Weil and Ake Jonsson. The American Wheelsmith Engineering aftermarket shop specialized in Maicos and helped usher in the era of long-travel suspension when they modified their bikes’ swingarms and moved the shocks forward.

Maico 400 and 440 models were a favorite choice of Open-class riders in America, especially on hard-packed tracks like Carlsbad and Saddleback in Southern California. They are still popular today in vintage racing. The Maico 250 MX had stiffer competition from other brands but enjoyed the same reputation for razor-sharp handling as the bigger bikes. The GS version, commonly regarded as the “wide ratio” version is kitted out as a dual sport or enduro machine with gearbox suited for the job.

The motorbike offered

The Maico 250GS on offer here is in excellent, restored condition, with engine rebuild by Lynn Shoup/Rage Racing (Phoenix, AZ), and features the desirable alloy fuel tank and center stand. The integrated headlight/numberplate is period correct aftermarket. Once restored, with only 6 miles on the odometer, it was placed on static display in a private collection for past several years. As such, the bike will need re-commissioning before returning to off-road use.

Sold on a bill of sale.