Post-World War II, Triumph’s larger twins remained recognizably similar to the first Speed Twin of 1938. But as the 1960s dawned, unitary construction of engine and gearbox, already a feature of the 350 and 500 twins, was applied to the 650s, launching in the 1963 model year. The café racer’s favourite since its launch, thanks to lusty acceleration and a top speed approaching 120mph, the Bonneville continued in this new form as Triumph’s top-of-the-range sportster. Adjustments to frame design and general specifications over the years, included standardized 12-volt electrics, shuttle-valve fork internals, independently adjustable ignition points, Amal Concentric carburettors and a long overdue twin-leading-shoe front brake. The Bonnie continued essentially unchanged, before the launch of the ‘oil-in-frame’ models in 1970.
The matching-numbers bike offered from the truly classic Bonnevilles, has been in the vendor’s collection for several years. It was then placed on static display in a climate-controlled environment alongside classic British bikes and high-end American 4-wheeled muscle. The bike was restored prior to his ownership to a high level of finish. The frame was restored and refinished and houses the fully rebuilt engine. Cycle parts are all restored and in excellent condition. The gas tank was repainted in the hugely desirable ’67 livery of aubergine over gold, but please note the chip to the leading edge (pictured). Fresh from a re-commissioning by marque experts, Glory Motorworks, the bike is offered in excellent riding condition.
Frame no. T120R DU49138
Engine no. T120R DU49138