1957 NSU 250cc Max Spezial

1957 NSU 250cc Max Spezial

NSU is a very interesting firm. Little known today, they were founded in Germany in 1873 as knitting machine manufacturer, of all things, producing its first motorcycle in 1901, the same time as Indian was getting started in the U.S. In the post-War years, they created some outstanding and influential designs, foremost of which was the 250cc Max. Announced in September of 1952, the Max used a pressed-steel monocoque frame, leading-link front fork and a single centrally mounted shock, all very advanced for the day. But its most unusual feature was reserved for the engine in the form of designer Albert Roder’s “Ultramax” connecting-link drive for the single overhead camshaft – essentially a secondary con-rod setup. With 17hp on tap, the Max was quick for a 250, topping out at 75-80mph.

Endowed with exceptional handling thanks to its superior cycle parts, the Max could show many a larger machine the way home over twisty terrain. Reliable, well-engineered and superbly finished, the NSU was one of the finest European motorcycles of its time and today is worthy of inclusion in any serious collection.

The superfluous build quality and reliability made it possible that in 1955 NSU became the biggest motorcycle producer in the world. And yet, racing successes gave NSU four world records for speed in 1951, 1953, 1954 and 1955.

The motorbike offered

The 1957 NSU 250cc Max Spezial offered here is offered in exquisite, fully restored condition. Paint finish is excellent throughout in rare but correct Jade Green, as are all other finishes, including lovely chrome plating on the tank.  An older restoration, the bike has been on static display for several years, and as such will need the usual, simple recommissioning before returning to its art deco-styled cruising.