Founded in 1873 by Pietro Laverda to build agricultural engines, the Laverda company didn’t branch into motorcycle production until post-World War II at the hand of grandson, Francesco. The first product, the 75cc four-stroke Motoleggera (lightweight motorcycle) helped meet the unprecedented upsurge in demand for basic motorized transport, and modified versions were soon winning their class in the long-distance road races popular at the time. Foremost of these was the famous Milan-Taranto, which Laverda first entered in 1950. That first venture ended in retirement for the factory’s single entry, but the following year all four machines entered finished the race. In ’52, Laverda’s new ‘MT’ (Milan-Taranto) sports model crushed the opposition, filling the top five positions in the 75cc category of the 1400km race, while in 1953 there were 75cc-class wins in the Giro d’Italia and Milan-Taranto again.
Fully restored to original condition, this historic machine is offered in excellent condition. From a very substantial Northern California collector, the bike has been on static display for a few years, and as such will need the usual re-commissioning before returning to safe road use.