1943 BMW R75 Sidecar outfit
More than just a sidecar rig, the R75 was a formidable addition to the German military arsenal. As a two-wheel drive vehicle, R75 proved to be a very capable machine in all terrains, from the muddy fields of Russia to the deserts of Northern Africa.
Originally designed in the 1930s by the Wehrmacht, the R75’s power came from a 750cc side valve twin based on the R71. However, a better power unit was required and so it was replaced by an OHV 750 that became the basis for post-war BMW road bikes, such as the R67 and 68. The gearbox was a 4-speed item, with high/low options with reverse and a locking differential and shaft drive to rear and sidecar wheels, the configuration gave a top speed of 60mph from the 900 pound behemoth, but undoubtedly 60mph just about anywhere!
As an exceptionally capable machine, the US requested Harley-Davidson to produce a copy, the XA.
The example offered here was imported from Germany in 1983 and is presented in fine original condition having spent several years in a discerning collection of vintage German motorcycles. Now “thinning the herd”, the bike is offered for sale having just been fully serviced and is reported to run exceptionally well.
Sold with a clean, clear title.